- 2 ¼ tsp regular or quick-acting yeast
- 1/8 cup warm water.
- 3/4 cup lukewarm milk.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 1/6 cup oil
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Ingredients for Vanila Froasting
- 1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 tsp. clear vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted confectioners sugar
- 1 tbsp. milk
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in mixing bowl. Add milk, sugar, salt, egg, shortening and 1 cup of flour. Beat on low speed scraping bowl constantly, 30 seconds.
- Stir in remaining flour until smooth. Cover and let rise in warm place, approximately 50-60 minutes.
- Turn dough onto floured surface. Roll dough 1/2-inch thick. Cut with round cookie cutter. Heat vegetable oil in fryer. Slide doughnuts into hot oil. Turn doughnuts as they turn golden brown then remove.
- When cool, make small hole to insert vanilla frosting. Take a sharp narrow knife and carefully make a large cavity inside of the doughnut to hold the frosting.
- Fill the doughnuts generously with vanilla frosting and dust heavily with powdered sugar.Makes: 12 doughnuts
- Cream butter and shortening, gradually add sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Add milk and vanilla, beat until light and fluffy. Will keep for 2 weeks in airtight,Refrigerated container.